Friday 28 June 2013

No.8 Injury, missed e-mails and rollers.

The last couple of weeks haven't been the best :-/ I'm not going to dwell on it once this blog is done as there are people in my life who are dealing with far more right now. My issues are insignificant in comparison but the blog is what it is so let the therapy begin!

I haven't ridden on the road for 2 weeks! A mixture of bad weather, chances and injury have scuppered all my plans. Not great timing when in just over a week I'm supposed to be cycling 77 miles - my furthest ride yet. I have no idea how but I've injured my neck and shoulder, was in serious pain at first but my yoga sports coach :-) has helped me enough to get me on my rollers to keep the legs spinning. For those who are wondering why I'm using hair rollers to help with cycling. These are rollers.
Yes that's right the bike isn't attached to anything

Had a highly amusing chat on Twitter with others who were in their early stages of rollering. Comments range from 'most frightening thing on Earth' to 'HELP GET ME OFF NOW'. I honestly wish I had filmed my first encounter. It would have put a smile on a lot of faces. It involved Graeme being the 'super calm I believe in you ball of positivity' as I released a tirade of negativity whilst steadfastly refusing to let go of the hallway wall. Repetition of I can't do it, I won't do it, I just can't, I won't let go, I'll never do this, I'm going to fall, Stop telling me I can, I can't - followed. There were a few more things but my mum reads this ;-) Anyway, you get the drift. Once I took the leap of faith and actually let go of the wall (scariest thing I've done in a while) I couldn't keep the smile off my face. Achievements are just so satisfying :-) Including working out a way to change channels without stopping! Check the picture below lol.

                                       
Sellotape rules!

Rollers will always scare me but they will become a key part of my training and just as I sadistically enjoy the pain cycling causes I also enjoy the fear of rollers!

One of my last outings was pretty good apart from lack of preparation with food (again). The weather was just gorgeous and the route was built for some speed. I can't wait for another day like it soon, to enjoy injury free. Maybe the Brum to Oxford stint? Wishful thinking? Keep those fingers crossed.


Happiness is .......

The last recent cycling disappointment was finding out I had been picked as one of only 50 to ride with Sir Chris Hoy on a section of his tour of the UK. What's disappointing about that?? Finding out about it 6 days after the event :-( Gutted - what an opportunity. Salt - rub - wound.  

Other aspects of life really have affected cycling recently and I need to pick myself back up, stop complaining and get back on it because I have to, because I need to, because I want to and most importantly, because I can.





1 comment:

  1. It always pays to look back on those kinds of happenings and have a proper look see at all the details. There could be something you had missed, like some factor or agent that brought on the injury and whatnot. It should be good to check not only for the precautions you can further note and learn, but also the additional therapies you can have in the future. All the best!

    Velvet Foronda @ U.S. HealthWorks

    ReplyDelete