Friday 20 June 2014

No.19 Cycling is more than just the bike.

14 DAYS TO GO!!!!!!!!

Two years ago I thought pushing those pedals round was what I needed to focus on but with the ride now just 14 days away I've learnt a lot and that just isn't the case.

With all the training, amazingly, we do actually manage to squeeze in some quality family time and everywhere we go we like to throw in some yoga moves :-) It's become an essential part of my riding. It's like another form of pain relief for me when the going is getting tough.





Yoga - Anyone, anywhere, anytime :-)

I had a bike fit in May. Just searching for the right person for the job was a task in itself. I needed to find someone who not only understood bikes inside out but who had the ability to understand my physical barriers. Thankfully I found Russell Kingston, a GB Triathlete, who is the founder of The Muscle Clinic He was so amazing, he absolutely took into account my abilities (or lack of them) and the changes that he made to my bike have really had a positive impact on my cycling. I know I must have been a bit of a challenge as a client. Many thanks :-) I would highly recommend him whatever type of cycling you do.

The bikes need TLC too. We support our local bike shop Speeds and they have worked wonders on them. They needed their service in preparation for the big ride and they feel brand new. Apart from new chains and a replacement seat post for Graeme (his is cracked) they are good to go!!! They looked so perfect when we collected them we were a little unsure whether to continue training with them! The first ride out was a dream - so smooth and the whole Speeds Team have been ace - especially with us popping in and out for adjustments, advice etc Thanks! We wish we could take them all with us :-)

Team Speeds and our spanking brilliant bikes :-)


I've had a couple of bad days recently and the negativity really does drain you of your energy. So I'm currently focusing on all the positive things surrounding the ride in order not to get swept up into panic and also not have any room left for negative thoughts!

On the ride :

I get to cycle every day :-)

I get to spend quality time with Graeme :-)

I get to see the greatness of this beautiful island :-)

I get to feel that 'freedom' that only a bike can give me :-)

I get to experience something I never thought possible :-)

……….. Feeling better already!!! Having the right mental attitude for the ride is paramount.

The last few rides have been focused around timing of food and we have pretty much got it down to eating something every hour. Which has avoided bonking (It's a cycling term - nothing rude) as had been happening before. Hoping 'little and often' is going to be the key to keeping us fuelled. Who'd have thought Graeme and I would ever have a problem with food!!!!

This week we had the opportunity to chat to some of the children from the school I work at. Their teacher will be doing some work about the route we are taking in Geography and I couldn't be prouder. They asked fantastic questions and loved looking at all our equipment. Knowing that they will be following us on our journey makes us feel fantastic!

It's been a mish-mash of a blog and after looking at the latest pictures from our rides I had to finish by telling you about a ride at the beginning of June. It was a beautiful day but a few diversions were needed due to the previous days downpours causing floods. One of the highlights was this!




It was fascinating watching the sheepdogs work and as they guided the sheep towards the sheds to be shorn we got to chat with the Farmer who had taken an interest in our outfits and bikes. We were about to set off in the direction we came, as the road ahead was flooded as far as we could see, when the Farmers wife said "No need, I'll get it moving".  She proceeded to wade through the flood and did indeed, with the magic of her wellies, get it moving. We rode away with Graeme talking about how cool it would be to try out farming and me thinking - I don't think I'll ever be as useful as that Farmers wife!

Thanks for reading. Thanks for the support. Thanks for taking an interest. It really does mean a lot.














No comments:

Post a Comment