Saturday 6 April 2013

No.3 There's nothing like your own saddle!

What a great week! There really is nothing like a week away with family and friends to feed your soul :-) Leaving the bikes at home we set off for Cornwall. It seems that cycling is never far from my thoughts anymore, and even though I know the roads well, they seemed so different through a cyclists eyes!!! Even the hills have hills in Cornwall.

The journey on the M5 gave me chance to ogle other peoples bikes too. I never took a blind bit of notice before - what a difference a year makes! As our JoGLE bikes are currently being built, and having spent A LOT of time getting the specifications exactly as we want, I found myself comparing MY bike to every one I saw. MY bike is still the best. I'm certain I've chosen well :-D

A green-eyed monster appeared on passing every lycra-clad cyclist and I genuinely wanted to be putting in the miles on those Cornish Roads. Next years challenge is getting scarier and more exciting the closer it gets. Its going to be one of those painful but beautiful experiences in life. Not unlike my experience of childbirth and death and they both ended up successfully ;-)

With the Camel Trail literally on our doorstep everyone ventured out to complete the Padstow - Wadebridge - Padstow 12 mile section. No mean feat with 4 young boys in tow. This of course meant hire bikes. I was given a bike with a huge saddle, a sit up and beg position and fat tyres - all the things I craved when starting to ride last year. Within 5 minutes I was coming up out of my seat to give my glutes a rest!
 View towards Rock

Apart from pining for my own bike those 12 miles were just brilliant. Cycling in the sun!!!, the sense of achievement for everyone - especially the boys, amazing views and ending with great food. I shall remember that ride for a long time. I'm certain it'll be in the forefront of my mind if I'm having a bad day on my JoGLE. It's great to have a serious goal ahead but cycling is fun and I intend to enjoy it as much as I possibly can :-)
The halfway mark


No comments:

Post a Comment